For all of you who are new to hair sticks, a hair stick is a straight stick that comes to a point at the end. It is generally between 5 and 9 inches in length, and when two hair sticks or chopstix are used together they can hold hair up and out of ones face. They are fashionable, stylish and are a really exciting hair accessory once you know how to use them.
Believe it or not, hair sticks have been in use for thousands of years. Hair sticks were a popular hair accessory in the cultures of Ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans, and although most of them were jeweled luxury items, in Rome they were mainly simple and wooden and were worn by all, no matter their financial standing. Of course, the more common culture that wore these hair sticks were the Japanese, who still wear them today, along with anyone and everyone who came to find them dressy, original and right up their ally.
So as you can see, women have been styling their hair using hair sticks for a long time now, but still, many people have no idea how to use them. Although the result looks really elegant and extremely complicated, the truth is that once you get the hang of it it’s really simple! So for all of you out there who are interested in giving them a shot, below are a few simple steps of making a bun in your hair with hair sticks.
1. Start by brushing or coming your hair.
2. Hold your hair into a pony tail and hold the base tightly with your left hand.
3. Take your right hand and twist your pony tail into a spiral.
4. Then, take your twirled pony tail and start twirling it around and around the base of the pony. Once you’ve twirled it half way, take your left hand off from the base to hold the forming bun securely.
5. Tuck the end of your pony tail under the bun.
6. Secure the bun using a hair stick. Insert the stick pointed in and up, then lift like a lever and weave the stick into your hair.
The first few times you try it, you may want to give up – but try again because you’ll get the hang of it and hair sticks are really a great hair accessory to add to your collection!